My Camera Gear
As a nature photographer I use a wide range of gear, perhaps more than is good for me! I photograph from macro to wide angle landscapes and wildlife. I haven't listed all my gear here, just the important stuff. Recently I have found that I prefer fewer lenses and less equipment, preferring to shoot with old favourites.
On any particular trip I will tend to try to focus on specific photographic goals and limit the equipment I carry to a minimum.
I use Canon cameras and at the moment I am shooting the Canon 5D mark iii and Canon 7D mark ii. As a quick note, I believe lenses are better buys than cameras. I do not believe the Canon 5D mark iv and 5Ds R are improved enough over my current gear to warrant upgrading. Eventually, when the right body is released, I plan to pair a high resolution sensor with my 400mm F2.8 lens..
I have a high regard for the 1D series of bodies but feel they are too large and not necessarily that useful for landscapes, especially when they need to be carried any great distance. I prefer the smaller full-frame bodies in the 5D series and find these adequate.
Landscapes & Astro
- Gitzo GT2531
- Kirk Ball Head and 'L' Bracket
- Nodal Ninja 4 Panoramic Head
- 77mm Polarising Filter (Screw-on)
- Lee Graduated ND Filters and Landscape Polariser
- Canon 16-35mm F4 L IS Lens
- Canon 24-105mm F4 L IS Lens
- Canon TSE 24mm F3.5 L Lens
- Samyang 24mm F1.4 Lens (Astrophotography)
- Wildlife Photography Modified Land Rover Defender
- Gimpro Door Mount & Gimbal
- Canon 100-400mm F4.5 - 5.6 L IS mark ii Lens
- Canon 400mm F2.8 L IS mark ii Lens
- Canon EFIII 1.4 & 2.0 Teleconverters
- Canon 600EX-RT Flash & Beamer
- Ilford Delta 100
- Kodak Ektar, Portra & Tri-X
- Mamiya RZ67 Pro ii Medium Format
- Mamiya 55mm Lens
- Mamiya 110mm Lens
- Mamiya 180mm Lens
- Minolta SRT Super 35mm Camera
- Minolta 50mm F1.4 Lens